Hi everyone, This Journey Into Mystery #83 needed a little bit of everything. An unhealthy amount of tape was removed, along with a moderate amount of amateur color touch (existing color touch was main motivation to have restoration work done). Then there were extra staples, pieces missing, and a little art missing as well. Pages needed work too, and it was requested to have them lightened. Employing the “less is more” method was difficult in some areas, the reds were in bad shape, and the word bubble dark blue also once the amateur color touch was removed. I think we found a good balance between the books grade, while keeping as much natural look and feel as possible.
This Amazing Fantasy #15 was a real challenge. Tape removal, large tears, writing on front cover, and bad attempts to remove it. Matching the grey background was especially difficult. For those of you that are unaware, the grey background is made from black dots, and the white paper.
Barely in time for his 75th Anniversary, we have a Captain America #1, with work done only to the cover. This copy was brittle on the right side, which caused the loss of the corners. There also were several pieces of tape on interior of cover holding loose pieces on right edge, half way up. After tape removal, washing, re-attach the loose pieces, leaf-cast, then recreate the missing art on the corner, plus color touch, the book is done.
It has been a while since we have posted a book, and wanted to catch you all up. As some of you know, we got way behind in the pressing dept. We have expanded, and put in tons of overtime, and the results are that we are 2 weeks ahead of schedule! This won’t last long with Con season right at our doorsteps, but it does give us hope that we can stay on time throughout 2016!
Thanks to everyone for their patience, now on to the books.
Restoration of the Month
Batman #11 Three for Three
Three iconic characters on the cover, and three major things wrong with the cover. First is obvious, terrible stains likely due to smoke damage, although the book did not have an odor, thankfully. The stains were on the cover only, another relief. The second problem and you will notice if you look at it long enough, is what appears to be a tape pull on Robin, but wait, the fun isn’t over, the cover is also completely split!
Client asked for a less is more approach, so we did just enough work to get the eye appeal the best with the least possible. Was very pleased how well the cover cleaned up, stains are a real grade killer. 😉
Cover was washed, Leaf-casted, and some tear repairs. While the casted paper is more functional than cosmetic, grading company’s consider the pieces added as restoration. We hope they will eventually change their mind. 🙂
I have restored much worse off books than this Brave & Bold #28, but this book was not without its challenges. The tape on back cover was tough, requiring aggression to the point the black inks ran. Front cover had a few small pieces missing, two tough colors to match since they were made up of dots.
This major key, the first appearance of Starman, had no where to go but up. It had been restored by an amateur a long time ago so it graded at an aproximate 1.5 extensive amateur which is almost worse case senerio.
Work performed was remove old restoration, wash cover and pages, leaf cast the cover and the first page, color touch cover and first page, clean staples and a final pressing.
This first appearance of Thor also featured an appearance by the dreaded SUBSCRIPTION CREASE!!! See how I defeated this vile defect and restored Thor to his rightful glory!
The subscription crease might be hard to see so be sure to click on each image to view a larger size. These types of defects do not always disappear with restoration, but on this book it did. The last picture shows how well the book graded at CGC.
What an amazing experience it was to work on this great DC key issue: All-Star #3 First Appearance of The Justice Society Of America!
It needed extensive work throughout, tape stains removed from cover and 1st page wrap, whole book washed, leaf casting to replace paper on cover and pages and color touch. View the progress of my work on the book below as I took it from a very poor condition that was literally falling apart all the way to a certified Fine+